On 09/05/2013 3:24 PM, Tim Crone wrote:
On Thu, May 9, 2013 at 4:18 PM, Max <meadedil...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

The only time I was involved in using one, we were trying to trace
electrical circuits in a building.  The tone generator produced so much
cross talk in other nearby circuits that it was pretty much impossible to
use to isolate one circuit.

That's why you reduce the "volume".  In a big harness it is difficult, but -

Easier to apply a test voltage like nine volts and search for that with a
volt meter.

- with the tone generator you don't need to physically touch the copper.
  Good for when you are stuck inside a wiring harness and want to check
particular wires, but don't want to break the insulation.  Like most tools,
useful when you need it, and there are better alternatives when you don't.
:)

Best,
Tim

Good, it sounds like I had the basic idea of how it works.
My basic plan is to hook the tone box to the wire at the back of the truck and then try to trace it forward through the harness. When it no longer appears to be there, it may be the spot that is broken or corroded etc.

Randy