The tree was a gathering place for a long time for the local blacks, back when they were slaves then later after the Late Unpleasantness. It has a spot in the history of Johns Island, and a lot of the old Gullah folk remember going there as children for picnics and meetings and such, the white folks sorta left them alone in that regard, out of respect for the tree and what it symbolizes.

If any of you are ever in the Charleston area it is definitely worth a visit, it is a natural treasure for all of us, and quite amazing to see. I meant to go over there and collect some acorns last fall and never did, will have to do that this year and plant some in pots to see if I can grow some baby angels.

--R

On 5/15/13 5:28 PM, WILTON wrote:
BTW, Rich, how old is the tree?

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andrew Strasfogel" <astrasfo...@gmail.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 15, 2013 4:23 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] best chain saw

I inhabit a very different universe, free of inappropriate nekkid butts,
pale or otherwise. You have my sympathy.

Ry
On May 15, 2013 3:41 PM, "WILTON" <wilt...@nc.rr.com> wrote:

Rich, is that you there in the ---, or are you the one with the white
butt? ;<)

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Thomas" <richthomas79TD300@**
constructivity.net <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net>>