Don't put wood chips in your compost, they suck up too much of something (nitrogen?) and lower the value of the compost. I generate a lot of sawdust and wood shavings, thought those would be good around trees for mulch, a master gardener who was also an accomplished woodworker yelled NOOOOOOO!!!!

--R