Jim Cathey wrote:
Jim has mentioned he doesn't frequently drive the Frankenheap on the highway, so his good mileage makes sense.

That is true, but the best mileage has been on tanks that included
more freeway driving.

That makes sense. Nothing kills mileage like having to start and stop a lot, especially on an automatic transmission car where you have a lot of slip at low speeds. The heavier the car, the more dramatic this can be. My '90 Ford Econoline would get 16 mpg highway, but more like 10 mpg in town.

In most cars I've had, the best fuel economy was during long excursions on rural roads, where I rarely had to stop but also rarely got above 60 mph. Driving a steady 55 on 2-lane highways in my Honda Civic Si, I once got 40 mpg for two consecutive tanks, a 10% improvement over my usual mileage in that car. This was done in 5th gear, running low in the RPM range with relatively wide throttle openings, which is the best scenario for fuel economy in a gasoline-engined car. (This may sound counter-intuitive, but the farther the throttle is open, the lower the pumping losses. You have to stay away from wide-open throttle, though, because many fuel-injected cars shift from a "best economy" mixture to a richer "best power" mixture at that point.)

Oddly, the fuel economy of my 300D Turbo rarely strays much from 28 mpg. The other diesel I've owned, a Vanagon, was the same way -- it would dependably get 26 mpg, with very little variation. Maybe the lack of a throttle plate in diesels means they're less sensitive to driving technique.