Sunil Hari wrote:

> if you put a 5sp manual into a 190Dt, wouldn't you destroy the tranny in
> short order due to the high torque?  I mean, there has to be a reason why MB
> didn't put them in at the factory, even as an option ...

Not much difference between a 2.6 or 16v gasser and a 2.5 turbo in torque, if
you leave the turbo stock. Steve doesn't have any trouble with his overdrive
turbo,
except it's rather sluggish off the line with no torque converter and 2.65 final
drive.
In my case, I've got a 2.3-16 with Getrag racing box, the clutch will start
slipping long before the tranny feels the strain.

The reason the factory didn't make any manny turbos (or none that I know of,
and certainly none for US market) is that you it can take a long time to
get the boost going from a standing start without a torque converter, and
you lose boost every time you lift throttle to shift. Autos can shift under
full load. If you replace an auto with a manny, you will take longer to hit
60mph.

I intend to port my head and adjust the ALDA accordingly. End result with
a 2.65 final drive should be at least as quick as a 2.5NA with 3.07 final
drive.