On 06/06/2013 9:34 AM, Dieselhead wrote:
June 6, 1944 over 1000 ships and 11000 aircraft participated in and supported the invasion of Nazi France. It was the beginning of freeing yurp from an evil tyrant.

The cost of freeing a good share of the world from tyranny is high. It is much easier to maintain our constitution and Bill of Rights that to reclaim those freedoms when lost.

I am about half way through the 3rd and final volume of a biography of Winston Churchill written by William Manchester - The Last Lion. He wrote the 2 earlier volumes many years ago and I read them then. I waited and watched for the final one and have about given up. Thankfully, Manchester realized that he needed help and enlisted the assistance of another writer whose name escapes me at the moment - Paul something I believe. Manchester subsequently died and the new fellow finished the book and it bears both of their names.

This 3rd volume begins when Churchill becomes Prime Minister at the outset of WW2. I am halfway through the book and we are only up to 1942. The Americans have been beaten up by the Japanese but have not done much in the war as yet. Roosevelt is trying to gear up industry to produce the tanks, planes etc that are needed to do battle and to develop the manpower too. Hitler is already stalled in Russia and Stalin is demanding that he get to keep a bunch of new territory after the war. Churchill and Roosevelt are none too happy about that but need Stalin to keep Hitler occupied while they try to build up enough military might to go after him. Japan has taken over the Pacific and things look pretty bad out there. Rommel is taking North Africa etc. Churchill is being criticized by his political enemies at home due to the failure of the military to hang on to the far eastern parts of the empire, Singapore etc.

A bit slow going at this point but should get better.

Randy