My brother, Lewis Clyde Strickland, then 21 and with 3 1/2 yrs in the US Navy, was the senior noncommissioned officer (NCO)/leader of a 48-man platoon of the 6th Naval Beach Battalion that went ashore on Omaha Beach, France, at 0730 on the 6th of June, 1944, to clear obstacles, secure the beach and control traffic to, from and on the beach. The unit was composed of many specialties, including, demolition, signalmen, radiomen, riflemen, medics, bulldozer operators and others - whatever necessary to manage the beach. They wore army combat uniforms and trained with the Army for the invasion. The only thing visible to distinguish them from army troops was an arc painted across the front of their helmets. Most of the men in his platoon were teenagers just 17, 18 and 19 years old. A few of the older men had been in the invasion of Sicily and a few, such as Lewis, had been in the invasion of North Africa. Though small in stature, Lewis was a giant in courage, dedication to accomplishing the mission, determination and care for the men in his platoon. He served as their mentor, their "mother," their "father," their leader. They affectionately called him, "Little Boats," in honor of his Navy specialty, boatswain's or boson's mate. Ensign Joe Vaghi, just out of college and new to the Navy when he became the platoon's Officer-In-Command (OIC) in late '43, said of Little Boats in 2001, "He taught me everything I ever needed to know about the Navy."

Wilton

Salute!  to Lewis Clyde Strickland, and all the others who did the "impossible"