Interesting little story from the book that I cannot recall hearing before.

Churchill wanted to take the offensive but it was too early to go take France. mid 1942. He pushed the military folks to do something. They came up with the idea of a commando raid on a big drydock in France a few miles up the Loire R. (don't quote me on the names as the spelling might be off!). It was built for the Normandie cruise ship which had burned in New York a month or more earlier, but it was the only known drydock big enough to fit the Turpitz (sp again) which was a sister to the Bismark. Churchill thought that if they could knock out this drydock, then Hitler would be less willing to send the big boat out after the convoys in the Atlantic because there would be no place to run to for repairs if it became necessary. So they loaded an old US destoyer obtained in the early lend/lease program with tons of dynamite in the bows and sailed it up the river in the dark and rammed the doors on the drydock. They then scuttled the ship and made their escape. The dynamite was supposed to blow soon after they left but the fuse did not work. The Germans showed up and spent the day examining the boat and taking photos to send home etc. There were several hundred of them on board when the fuse kicked in and blew them all to you know where.

Churchill was right and Hitler did not send the big boat out. Turpitz basically sat in a fjord in Norway waiting for a British attack that never came until it was sunk by Lancaster bombers in 1944.

Basically from memory as I do not have the book here. So, if you search and find my details are not accurate, remember that I did my best.

Randy