On 06/06/2013 11:19 AM, Curt Raymond wrote:
Sears, like so many companies, decided that everything was all about price. As
long as the prices were low, they theorized, people would buy. Well of course
if your prices are super low you can't afford good help so they got rid of
anybody who knew anything and kept the mouth breathers who would work for no
wages. As soon as anybody got any kind of smart they left for greener pastures.

Today we're finding that most companies have done the same thing and we're left
with a retail world which has raced to the bottom. Sears is done, JC Penny is
done. Lowes and Home Depot hang on for reasons I don't understand. I come out
of those places angry every time. The only reason I go is because often I don't
know what I'm talking about and its easy to browse.

The local places that survive are the ones that focus on customer service.
We've got an excellent lumberyard/hardware store near our farm. When you order
lumber the salesperson goes to the yard with you and picks out your materials.
Its that extra service that makes me want to go there. If I don't know exactly
what I want the salesperson goes out with me and shows me the options. Its a
great place and they're doing great business because of it.

-Curt

Home Depot, here in Canada at any rate, seems to make their money on the little stuff.
Go buy a sheet of plywood and it may not be unreasonable.
BUT, go buy something like a new end to put on an extension cord and it costs an arm and a leg.
The markup on the little stuff must be outrageous.
That is what I find disturbing about the current retail business.
They advertise competitive prices on the bigger items but rob you blind on the smaller ones that are not advertised.

Randy