Searching is caused by several things, lean mixture is one easy one (look at the base of the insulator on the plug -- should be tan to dark tan), but a fouled plug, air leaks, plugged air filter, worn linkages, etc will also cause trouble.

Verify that the governor linkage is free -- if you move the air driven flap, it MUST spring back smoothly and immediately. All the links, hooks, and springs in the linkage between throttle valve and air flat (or centrifugal spring on newer engines) must be clean and swivel freely.

If the linkage binds anywhere, the engine will continue to speed up until the linkage moves, which will be too far, and the throttle will close too far, the engine will slow down too much, then surge up too fast when the linkage finally moves again. Grass, crud, oil residue and dust, etc will all cause trouble.

So will running too rich, as the power output is way down. A stuck float can make it run funny too.

And don't neglect the possibility that the shut-off wire insulation has rubbed off somewhere, causing the ignition to cut in and out! Had this on the Snapper self-propel I bought this spring for $100, had been set very rich to compensate for the "poor running" due to the shut-off wire coming adrift and intermittantly shorting out. PO said it bogged down in heavy grass, which it did. Also burned lots of oil and smoked black once in a while, and stank of unburned fuel.

I go the wire to quit shorting by removing it (have to take the cowl off soon and fix the recoil spring anyway, will get it in place then) and leaned it out a bit -- runs like a champ, doesn't burn oil anymore, and uses much less fuel. Still surges a bit on startup, but I suspect that's a carbon/oil ash fouled plug which I will replace soon.

I would not run one without a governor, the blade is never balanced well enough and a flat-head single cylinder engine will turn WAY too fast to stay together without a governor!

Peter