Curt wrote:
> Its not always possible of course, my hiking boots were made in Italy, but my
> socks were made in the USA, my Redwing workboots were also made in the USA. I
> fell into the trap of buying the cheapest whatever for a long time, its going
> to take time to turn myself around. Meanwhile I think there are too many
> people that bemoan the loss of American jobs while buying made in China junk.

You be doin good - kudos to ya on buy USA.
We been doin that for over 20 years.  When a buddy told me the work
conditions of china 25 years ago, we watched the tags and stopped
buying china.  When I didn't see USA on stuff at Walmart, we stopped
darkening that doorway, some 20 years ago.  Same with Target.  Mail
order from up your way too - llbean used to be primarily USA/Canada/UK
but now most is central america/china/too-expensive.  So, I buy used
Goodwill USA stuff today, or not at all.  Like you, we buy Red Wing,
but be careful there - their WorX brand is china.
The cheap junk doesn't need to abide work/environment rules USA has,
so their stuff is cheap and is ruinous to water and land.  Another
problem, no solution.  I didn't like the concepts of "service economy"
pushed by Tim Wirth and others in early 1980 - about the time you were
a twinkle in your mom's eye - or whatever we say.
Good for ya buy USA.  Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do
without - is the other great NE saying I like.
mao