Okay guys this madness has to end, none of you are apparently actually reading
anything I write, you've all gotten hung up on the radiator cap.

Lets review the facts:

#1. '78 240D, no expansion tank, no aux pump.

#2. As soon as the car is started coolant starts bubbling out of the hood due
to bubbles of gas pushing in there. When the car is shut off there is always
one more big bubble of gas which will push around a cup of coolant off.

#3. The car overheats sitting running in the driveway. While I appreciate
Luther's story it doesn't relate, the car should not overheat sitting in the
driveway with the radiator cap off, if it did that would mean there couldn't
possibly be enough cooling capacity to go on the highway ever.

#4. I drove 5,000 miles (most of it on the highway) with the radiator cap loose
and the car didn't overheat.

#5. The car will push coolant past the radiator cap and still overheat.

#6. There is no cabin heat when running.

I would submit at this point that you can knock it off about the radiator cap,
the radiator cap will not save this engine...

-Curt