The thing everybody seems to not want to address is the coolant boiling out of the radiator neck...

I put both thermostats in a pan of water, they both begin opening around 165F (the old one maybe slightly sooner) and are fully open at 180F. If they're busted its in some manner that I can't see.

-Curt

Did the coolant boil out after burping and with a good cap on tight?

There was a thread some years ago with Herr Doktor where he advised us all to check our pressure caps and replace every other year on PM principle. I don't know the fizzicks, or thmodynamics, but he assured us a mercedes (at least 123 or newer) with a faulty or loose radiator/coolant bottle cap will overheat.