Talk of radiator caps reminds me: Nearly 30 years ago, I had taken my still-nearly-new '80 240D (purchased new in Nov '79) into local stealer's for some minor repair or PM one morning; about mid-afternoon I stopped by to check on it and noticed that it was in shop, with hood up. I walked back there to speak to tech about it, etc. As I approached the car, I noticed that the radiator cap was OLD and rusty - not the nearly new, shiny one that was on it when I left the car that morning. I asked tech what had happened to my radiator cap. Tech seemed as surprised as I was - supposedly had not noticed. Some sorry etc., had switched an OLD rusty one with my nearly new one!!! Of course, I had to buy a new one - crapped-upon again.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dieselhead" <126die...@gmail.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2013 10:15 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] I think its the end

>The thing everybody seems to not want to address is the coolant boiling >out of the radiator neck...

I put both thermostats in a pan of water, they both begin opening around 165F (the old one maybe slightly sooner) and are fully open at 180F. If they're busted its in some manner that I can't see.

-Curt

Did the coolant boil out after burping and with a good cap on tight?

There was a thread some years ago with Herr Doktor where he advised us all to check our pressure caps and replace every other year on PM principle. I don't know the fizzicks, or thmodynamics, but he assured us a mercedes (at least 123 or newer) with a faulty or loose radiator/coolant bottle cap will overheat.