I recently heard this mentioned elsewhere, I had never heard about it before or at the time, very interesting. I obviously need a list of produced VIN and engine numbers and certain ID features- I'd like to think I could spot a phony, it depend on how good it was done, and why would anyone want to pay to produce one when a real one could be genuinely restored? With a list, if I ever come across a VIN that wasn't officially listed with MB, (and no official VIN changes records were availible) I could verify whether a W123 is phony or not. (Sorry, I only need the W123 info, I consider the other chassis "not my specialty, not my business, and certainly not my subject to which I should be considered any kind of authority of information", you may have to get used to that quirk of my car passion personality!)

Vince
Club 123D President
www.club123d.org

How soon we forget - the Nigerian scam-artists tried to convince us they were
re-making w123s over 3 years ago.  Don't you remember, all of them would be
fitted with OM616.912 motors, and wagons would have leaf springs in the back...