Who knows, maybe it's based on a plan that did or does exist. Doubtful but
possible, as I don't think SA has any emissions regulations or such. You
might be able to make small scale production worthwhile, on third world wage
scales.

Factoid: When the Volvo 240 stopped production, a Russian firm bought up the
body presses and announced it would continue to produce them for the Russian
market. But nothing more was ever heard about that.

Mac