Chris wrote:

Would it be safe to work under a 123 wagon with the front two wheels on steel ramps, and the two back wheels jacked up and the frame placed on jack stands? More properly phrased, is this a common way to work under a car? I

Four heavy-duty jackstands would definately be best, and not very expensive. But what you're proposing is probably okay as long as you're using heavy, reinforced ramps and not the wimpy stamped-steel stuff.

I gave up on ramps when I forsook front wheel drive - just getting the front of the Mercedes up on them was frustrating and seemed more unsafe than actually crawling underneath them.

Tom
P.S. Center carrier bearing is a likely culprit. BTDT.