Mitch Haley <m...@voyager.net> writes:

> You're saying that 7 seconds may be a long time in a F-16, but it isn't even
> enough time to increase thrust in a 777? (I was going to say 172, then
> realized
> that there doesn't seem to be such a thing as light aircraft in ROK)

I think I read that the FAA standard is 5 seconds to spool up from idle
but remember they were in landing configuration, flaps and landing gear
deployed (thus "draggy"), descending, and significantly slow, and with a
jet/turbofan the power comes on late, kind of like turbo lag in a car.
Then, even when the engines attain full thrust it's going to take some
time to get back to a speed where they can arrest their descent and
start gaining altitude.  In their situation, trying to recover the
profile or go around from 7 seconds out was probably impossible.

--
Allan Streib