That makes it a NO switch. so If I unhook the wires at the trans there is NO chance of a faulty kickdown signal (even if I took out the switch, there may be scuffed or disintegrated insulation or some other cause to short the wires together.)

Pressed down is ON, connects the circuit, zero resistance

Up is OFF, infinite resistance

You can reach down there and grab it and pull up the inner part, which looks to be pressed into the housing with some tabs. You might able to just take it apart and clean it.

To get it out, fold down the carpet around it, it has some press-ears that hold it in the hole, just take a flat screwdriver and pry up on it until it comes out. There is not much room on top, but the hole is big enough you can pry it out just on the bottom and left side. The connector is just pressed on and pulls off easily. New one just pushes in the hole, make sure the connector is at 10 oclock or connect it then push it in. Takes less than 5 min to change it, including going to find a screwdriver.

--R