The rest of the story about SWMBO's fingernails digging into inner thigh: In July of '75, I had flown SWMBO and daughter from Sault Ste. Marie, MI, to Greenville, NC, aboard a Cessna 182 for daughter's college freshman orientation weekend. Returning to The Soo mid-afternoon Sunday over Ohio headed toward Detroit. At about 13 kft on top of nearly solid undercast; thunderstorms to 60 kft all around and ahead in Detroit area; altered course to the east in tending to cross middle of Lake Erie and Ontario between Lakes Huron and Erie; radio above my left ear talking continuously about the thunderstorms to 60 kft. Suddenly, the sound of, stall warning horn got our attention! Quick glance at instruments showed what I already knew: straight and level, good airspeed, etc. Pushed slight forward pressure on control column to descend and accelerate slightly, etc., no change in pitch and intensity of stall warning. Glance out at stall warning "device" on leading edge of left wing revealed nothing unusual. Sound of slipstream, airspeed indication, altimeter, etc., showed that airplane was doing exactly what I asked it to do. The loud sound in my ears said, "You are stalling!" Everything else told me, "You are NOT stalling, you have complete control of the aircraft." I pulled back on control column to purposely and significantly change angle of attack, climb, slow down, etc. Pitch and intensity of stall warning never changed. Meanwhile, while I was still descending slightly, SWMBO looked down through hole in clouds below us and saw Lake Erie. She grabbed my right thigh, digging fingernails into inner part and nearly screamed, "We're going down, we're going down! We're over water, we're over water!" I replied, "I know we're going down; I pushed it down; I have complete control of the aircraft. Hush!" About this time, I pulled back and began to climb, slow, etc. SWMBO spotted Detroit International Airport and said, "There's an airport, YOU LAND RIGHT NOW!" I replied, "We're OK; I have control of the aircraft. We're OK." She said, fingernails still digging in, "Well, explain that noise, then!" I replied, "I can't explain it, but I have control of the aircraft - we're OK." Again, I glanced out at stall warning "device" on left wing leading edge. As I brought my vision back inside, I noticed the ram air scoop/register near the upper left corner of the windshield and near leading edge of the left wing. I reached for the ram air scoop/register and pulled it out slightly; "stall warning" ceased instantly. On takeoff after refueling at Mansfield, OH, there was too much air blowing on me, and I had reached up and pushed the vent closed; over Lake Erie, it had finally open enough to vibrate and sound exactly like stall warning.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Randy Bennell" <rbenn...@bennell.ca>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, July 22, 2013 11:46 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT - Asiana

On 20/07/2013 9:54 PM, WILTON wrote:
No. Like I said, regardless of auto this or auto that, there is no excuse for not monitoring attitude, airspeed and altitude, especially in critical stages of flight, and, no matter how bad things may get (weather, SAM's, SWMBO digging fingernails into inner thigh demanding to know, "What is that noise?" etc.) you must continue to fly the airplane.

Wilton

Sort of like driving a car.
It has become much easier with automatic transmission, automatic choke and now fuel injection, automatic climate control, etc BUT at the end of the day, you still need to keep the vehicle on the road between the ditches and avoid other cars.

Randy