I have a terrible time with paper wasps and sitting cars too every
summer and fall since I moved out to the country about 25 miles from
Portland (Oregon).  These are not the kind that build a closed
football-shaped nest (though I've seen those here a couple of times
too), but the kind that build something that looks like a honeycomb
with open cells where the larvae grow.  As Allen described, they love
doorjambs in particular.

Fortunately those aren't very aggressive.  Not like yellowjackets
at a picnic, or hornets of any kind.  I get 'em in the morning,
around dawn while it's still cool and they're all hanging out on
the nest.  One quick spray and it's over.  Best if you survey for
them periodically so they don't get highly established.

-- Jim