On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 7:40 AM, Gary Hurst <jabbahur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> this to me is really the breaking point of the healthcare system as we have
> it today.  what is the point of any kind of insurance?  to protect you from
> financial ruin in case something goes south on you.

This is certainly the line that the insurance industry has been
feeding us for a long time.  But I've said this before and I'll keep
saying it:  insurance is the one product in the marketplace that
everyone is required to have (i.e. car liability insurance, plus soon
health insurance), but that the seller is not required to provide in
exchange for the buyer's money.

In order to maximize shareholder profit, insurance companies must
minimize the claims they pay out while continuing to raise premiums.
A Marxist will tell you that's how all of capitalism works (take as
much money as possible, give as little in return).  I am the farthest
thing from a Marxist--still, something's wrong with a system where
people are legally mandated by the state to do business with companies
whose business model is explicitly to, as often as possible, avoid
providing the service that they've contracted to provide.

Alex