-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Allan Streib
Sent: Sunday, January 01, 2006 3:49 PM
To: Mercedes mailing list
Subject: [MBZ] OT: Dodge Caravan ignition lock cylinder

Have not found a lot of online info about this, so thought I'd ask here
in case anyone has run into this.

We have a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan.  Recently the ignition key has
started refusing to turn, on an intermittent basis.  Consulted a local
locksmith and he suggested that it was dirty and to "blast it out with
WD40".  I don't like the idea of using oil in a lock but he insisted it
would be fine.  Sure enough it seemed to resolve the problem -- for a
couple of weeks.

A few days ago my wife tried to start the car and the key refused to
turn.  I played with it, no luck.  More WD40, no luck.  Finally after
removing and reinserting the key repeatedly it turned.  I said "enough
of this" and removed the plastic shroud around the steering column,
found the tab to release the cylinder, and removed it.

I sprayed it out with brake cleaner to remove the WD40, and now it seems

to be working.  But I'm hesitant to reinstall it.  Seems odd that it
would be worn out already, only 3 years old.  Anyone had any similar
experience?  Just wondering if this is a common problem for Dodge
vehicles.

Allan
--
1966 230