There is no way to know how many miles are on a used engine. All the salvages mysteriously have 60 or 80K mile engines. BS. They probably have 180K to 280K if not more on them. I would ask them to provide compression numbers. Then after you get the engine verify the numbers BEFORE installing the engine.

Brian Chase wrote:

Listers,

The wheels of action are finally grinding to a start in the resurrection of my 83 240D. I'm planning on purchasing a used engine tomorrow from Tri-Star in PHX. My auto is at the shop in Tucson, and awaiting shipment of the engine.

Question: How can one really know that the proclaimed mileage on a used engine like this is anywhere near accurate? It would be in the best interest of the crooked parts outfit to claim to be selling a nice low-mileage engine, yet actually to deliver their highest-mileage engine. They are claiming to be selling me their lowest mileage 240 engine, but as I said, it would take some genuine honesty not to pull a bait & switch.

I know there's probably no answer to this question, but what have you all found in your experience? Bear in mind that I am no where near this outfit geographically and thus cannot do any physical investigation.

Brian
83 240D