From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Kaleb C. Striplin
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 10:24 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Used Engines from Tri-Star

There is no way to know how many miles are on a used engine.  All the
salvages mysteriously have 60 or 80K mile engines.  BS.  They probably have
180K to 280K if not more on them.  I would ask them to provide compression
numbers.  Then after you get the engine verify the numbers BEFORE installing
the engine.

Brian Chase wrote:

> Listers,
>
> The wheels of action are finally grinding to a start in the
> resurrection of my 83 240D. I'm planning on purchasing a used engine
> tomorrow from Tri-Star in PHX. My auto is at the shop in Tucson, and
> awaiting shipment of the engine.
>
> Question: How can one really know that the proclaimed mileage on a
> used engine like this is anywhere near accurate? It would be in the
> best interest of the crooked parts outfit to claim to be selling a
> nice low-mileage engine, yet actually to deliver their highest-mileage
> engine. They are claiming to be selling me their lowest mileage 240
> engine, but as I said, it would take some genuine honesty not to pull a
bait & switch.

> I know there's probably no answer to this question, but what have you
> all found in your experience? Bear in mind that I am no where near
> this outfit geographically and thus cannot do any physical investigation.
>
> Brian
> 83 240D

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
  89 560SEL, 87 300SDL, 85 380SE, 85 300D,
  84 250 LWB, 83 300TD, 81 300TD, 81 240D, 81 240D,
  76 450SEL, 76 240D, 76 300D, 74 240D, 69 250 http://www.striplin.net