Brian Chase wrote:
Listers,

The wheels of action are finally grinding to a start in the resurrection of my 83 240D. I'm planning on purchasing a used engine tomorrow from Tri-Star in PHX. My auto is at the shop in Tucson, and awaiting shipment of the engine.

Question: How can one really know that the proclaimed mileage on a used engine like this is anywhere near accurate? It would be in the best interest of the crooked parts outfit to claim to be selling a nice low-mileage engine, yet actually to deliver their highest-mileage engine. They are claiming to be selling me their lowest mileage 240 engine, but as I said, it would take some genuine honesty not to pull a bait & switch.

I know there's probably no answer to this question, but what have you all found in your experience? Bear in mind that I am no where near this outfit geographically and thus cannot do any physical investigation.

There is NO way you can know for sure. What you can do is use the hot compression numbers to assess the condition of the engine. If the hot compression numbers exceed 320 psi (22 bar) and the difference between cylinders doesn't exceed 45 psi (3 bar) the engine will be capable of reliable service and the mileage on the engine is unimportant. If the compression isn't good, even an engine with only a few thousand miles on it is NO bargain.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi