don't know if you solved your problem or not - my 78 240D has a heavy ground cable from the bolt holding tranny and engine together at the 5 o'clock position looking from the front toward the drivers seat. It goes from that bolt to the chassis right next to it -

Sorry I didn't see your questionsooner -

LarryT
78 240D
91 300D