Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 10:54:11 -0700 (PDT)
From: Richard Hattaway <rhatta...@rocketmail.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Alternator question '83 300D

Has anyone ever seen a fire from jumper cables in anything other than a dream?

Sure, we've all gotten them warm enough to make the insulation tacky, but I am
under the assumption that if someone is capable of making an alternator test
station from a drill press he is also capable of looking after his well-being
when he's using jumper cables.

Lets give Gerry a bit of credit here.? I bet he can spot hot jumper cables.?
All I wanted to do was make a suggestion that he could save the ass busting
clothes staining work of moving a big ole diesel battery from one car to
another by using jumper cables in a charging test.? He apparently had no
problem starting the car.

First thing I know, someone comes screaming into the room that there's gonna be
a fire.? Now *really*??? If the long term mechanics on the list have actually
caught jumper cables on fire then they really ought to consider a new line of
work.? Thus my comment.?

If I hurt someone's feelings, I apologize.? That is not my intention.? I will
respond to an exaggerated response.? The claim of a fire is an exaggerated
response.

My time on this thread is done.? Hope Gerry gets his alternator issue solved.