Alex Chamberlain wrote:
On Sep 5, 2013 6:43 PM, "Peter Frederick" <psf...@earthlink.net> wrote:

DO NOT use KYB!

What's wrong with KYB?  Not the same as OEM damping characteristics, or are
they actually poor quality?  The latter I'd find hard to believe since they
are OE on a lot of high-end Japanese cars.

The reputation used to be Koni=good, KYB=good for a little while.

I put a KYB on the back of my SAAB when my control arm failed and broke the original Bilstein. At the time, you could get real Bilsteins from the dealer for $100, HD Bilsteins from various mail order vendors for $50, or KYBs for $20. That KYB did a reasonable impersonation of an EMS Bilstein for 20,000 miles or so before the car finished rusting out.

Then I put adjustable KYB struts on the front of my Horizon. The original struts were still more or less OK at 70,000 miles when I did the switch. IIRC, the first set of KYBs were leaking by 120-130k. They gave me new ones for free under the lifetime warranty. Those died too, I don't remember when, but by then they didn't make the adjustables any more, and they gave me fixed dampers. Also told me the fixed dampers didn't have lifetime warranty, so no more free struts for you. At 230k miles, the third set of KYBs were still holding pressure.

On the back, I installed Mopar HD shocks at 70k with the new front KYBs. I replaced those once under warranty, not leaking but noticeably low on damping, probably about halfway through the 2nd set of KYBs up front.

Mitch.