On Sep 6, 2013 3:41 PM, "Peter Frederick" <psf...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Typically  KYB for German cars are
> valved like Monroes, not Bilsteins,
> and hence are rock hard, beat your
> liver out.  Don't last very well either.

I don't see how you can generalize about Monroe: they make everything from
stiff truck shocks to what I'd call "traditional American" shocks ( very
little damping for that floaty watered ride).

> Don't know what [KYBs] are like in
> Japanese cars, depends on what the
> maker wanted.  Aftermarket is a
> whole different game.

I asked because I just replaced the factory shocks in my new-to-me LS400,
which were shot at 120K mi, with new KYB GR-2s (1/3 the price of OE from
the Lexus dealer and supposedly the same).  The car now rides and handles
like a slightly mushier 124, which I think is pretty much what Toyota was
shooting for.

Alex