They have lived under the reaction to the reaction to the initial offenses of
the late 50's.  We would have unseated the Saudis had they not been fairly
malleable and willing to play as long as we did not mess with them.  The
Israelis are akin to the persians.  They survived the events of Hitler, and
have become a very reactionary and dangerous society.  The bulk of the
population has no personal knowledge of what their grandparents went through,
and have built up a mythos based on the stories they are told, not what they
have done themselves.  Iran has the mythos of our meddling, the rise of the
shah, and the reaction that caused the ayatollah to show up.  Thirty years on,
they have their parents to tell them stories of how it was under the shah, or
listen to grandma.

In the meanwhile, they are just as greedy for western things as the chinese.
It took them 25 years after Nixon to become a viable threat to our economy.
In the past 18 years, they have destroyed our industrial base, flooded our
markets with garbage and bought up all our debt.  We have become enslaved to
the chinese.

Will it take forty or sixty years before we rise up?

clay