The feud the Irish have with the british is much older than that.  I think it
goes back at least 600 years.  It got a good spooling up in the aught's over
labor, then really spun up in the 1919 uprisings, to the point, the Irish were
not interested in supporting the english war effort in WWII.

England has only recently had peaceable relations with the French.  They have
not been fond of each other since before 1056 if memory serves.  And any reason
to heat up the fight was good enough for the next millennium.

clay