I wonder if you would have been ok the second time had the gasket been
replaced. Another thought I had was that you were using straight water

I wonder too.  An expensive, and time-consuming (special-order)
experiment.  The $2 can of spray copper goo was more my speed
right now.

instead of 50/50 mix for coolant. Not sure if that would make a difference
though.

I don't think so.

I'm betting you have the head removal/replacement down to a science and can
probably do it in half or less time then the first attempt.

Yeah, it goes a lot quicker the more you do it!

Glad to hear you are making progress....guessing your wife is as well.

She is.  I'm just hoping that the lack of leaks is confirmed
with future activity.  Now on to making a new water pump 'molded'
hose out of copper elbows, etc., antifreeze, and thence to taming
the 300V (!) output.

-- Jim