Solenoids convert electomagnetism to mechanical motion - to open or close a valve, for example. Solenoids are also used in relays to open or close electrical contacts which act as an ON/OFF switch in an electrical circuit.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Curt Raymond" <curtlud...@yahoo.com>
To: "Diesel List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 4:15 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Wiring a Switch in the Glow plug Relay

The glowplugs can be 10ga, no worries there, remember as somebody else said its only 16a on a 4cyl. The one that really ought to be heavier is the wire from the battery to the solenoid which has to carry the whole 80a. 10ga seems to be adequate, in that its always worked for me but bigger is always better right ;)

You can't get around 4 of those 10ga runs, gotta have one each to the injectors.

A solenoid is a simple relay. 2 sets of contacts, one relatively low power which activates the other higher power. I *think* all solenoids are relays but not all relays are solenoids.

-Curt