From: Mercedes [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of MG
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:38 PM
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Wiring a Switch in the Glow plug Relay

Ah! I see now, you are saying wire a starter solenoid in place of the fuse.
In that case yes you are correct. I thought you were saying to run the heavy
wires to a switch in place of the fuse on the original relay to act like
removing the fuse.

putting the solenoid in that way would work as long as the original relay
still makes a contact on the high amp side. Who knows how long that will be
the case. Much better to simply replace the original with the starter
solenoid right off and not have to do that later. Well unless you plan to
put a new glowplug relay in at some later date when they come down in price.
Like that will ever happen.

Manfred

Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 10:12:43 -0700
From: "Greg Fiorentino" <gf...@dslnorthwest.net>

Yes, the wiring to the high amperage part of the (new simple manually
controlled) relay would have to be robust, but that could be a very short
run (nearby, under the hood).  The actual switch on the dash could be wired
to the low amperage part of the relay with lighter gauge wire.  An
additional in-line fuse sounds prudent!

Or am I (very possible!) just not understanding how relays work?

Greg,

Who is no expert on automotive electronics, but trying to learn