Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 13:42:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Richard Hattaway <rhatta...@rocketmail.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Wiring a Switch in the Glow plug Relay

>The glowplugs can be 10ga, no worries there, remember as somebody else said
>its only 16a on a 4cyl. The one that >really ought to be heavier is the wire
>from the battery to the solenoid which has to carry the whole 80a. 10ga seems
>to >be adequate, in that its always worked for me but bigger is always better
>right ;)

Any time you can go bigger, do it.? Up to a 'stupid limit' of course.? If I had
#8 or even #6 for plug wire, I'd use it.? Bigger than that and you get into
connector issues pretty fast.? Remember the older plugs that had bare wire
running between them and a single feed from the end.. that wire was no bigger
than #10 and prolly #12 in fact.? It glowed red, too, sometimes.

>You can't get around 4 of those 10ga runs, gotta have one each to the
>injectors.

If? you're rewiring the whole thing, I'd seriously consider only one wire,
jumping between plugs, feeding from the middle with #8 or so.. and have the
jumper wire custom made on some copper washers for connectors on top the plugs,
make it #6 or so, or even bigger.? Then you have only one rail, not all the
wires flopping around, and one feed.??

>A solenoid is a simple relay. 2 sets of contacts, one relatively low power
>which activates the other higher power. I >*think* all solenoids are relays
>but not all relays are solenoids.

-Curt

A solenoid is a coil of wire that has a ferromagnetic piece that moves based on
magnetic field.? Sometimes that movement closes contacts.? Sometimes it allows
air flow.? Sometimes it controls fluid.?

If it is used as a relay, then the ferromagnetic piece opens/closes a set (s)
of contacts that are rated at whatever you're trying to do with them (
hopefully (c: ) ..

Interestingly some starter soleniods do both.. they have a mechanical component
that slams the pinion into the ring gear, and an electrical component that
applies power to the armature of the starter ( BA relay, if we're into
alphabetisms LOL )