<arche...@embarqmail.com> wrote:
A friends Dell P6754yPC desktop computer won't connect to the
internet.  I fixed the TCP/IP but now Window7 says the rj45 modem is
bad  (the wireless modem works okay).  There's a lot of lightning in
this area that often takes out internal modems.

Craig wrote:
It is surprising that the lightning would take out the network interface
card (NIC) on a computer instead of the DSL modem.

Gerry:
Lightning transients (not true lightning strikes) do strange things.
Sometimes the DSL modem is damaged; other times it only has to be reset; other times it will blow the fuses in the surge suppressor if the RJ11 line is fused.

Does this friend have the proper surge arresting stuff?

G:  Not sure.  Friend works for SIL and SIL brought me the computer.

Craig:
What model is the NIC you intend on using? I'll need that to see what
kind of connector it has.

G:  I'm looking at an Intel PRO/1000 GT Desktop Adapter - PCI - 1 x RJ-45 -
10/100/1000Base-T - Internal modem, but there are several RJ45 NICs
available; both with the long and short connectors.
http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/Networking-Products/Network-Interface-Adapters-NIC/Ethernet-Adapters/Intel/result.aspx?w=N71&b=INT

   The computer motherboard lists these slots:
1 PCI Express x16 slot for graphics card
3 PCI Express x1 slots
1 PCI Express x1 minicard slot

The Intel modems description says:
 Compatible with x1, x4, x8, and x16 full-height and low-profile PCI
Express slots

Craig:
From this, it appears that plugging the modem in one of the 3 PCI Express
x1 slots would work. From your descriptions, though, I'm not entirely
convinced.

G:  Okay.  Thanks.
Gerry

-----