And I believe that in many cases the decision to charge one for duties and fees
is arbitrary and up to the Customs officer.

I say this because there were numerous times I traveled outside the US and
brought back items worth well over the $400 limit. I always listed EVERYTHING I
bought overseas on my Customs declaration, a few times having to use more than
one form, and not once was I ever required to pay duties.

On one occasion I returned from a trip to Calgary and Edmonton with a very
expensive animation cel I purchased at a gallery in Calgary that belonged to
the wife of one of my customers. It was well over $400 and was BIG - probably
3' x 4' boxed, and I carried it on, too.

I fully expected to have to pay duties on it, as I declared it for the full
value with a copy of the invoice.

When I cleared Customs in Calgary, the Customs officer took my form, swiped it
with a marker, and waved me through.

Dan

Sent from my iPad