> i used to go across often 20+ years ago when i lived up at the part of the
> world, but i didn't used to cross at touristy crossings at least i tried
> not to, so mostly it was just the usual "waving" and "hey, how you doing?"
> both ways

The last time I went across, I went  north with a boat that outweighed my
car one afternoon, and south with just the car the next morning. And the
boat was covered. So I had some explaining to do, but nobody searched
anything. A couple of years later, my parents were fishing in Canada on
9-11-2001. Their trip home the next week was a bit more eventful.

Mitch.