> Enrolled Agent?  A "person who has earned the privilege of representing
> taxpayers before the Internal Revenue Service by either passing a
> three-part comprehensive IRS test covering individual and business tax
> returns, or through experience as a former IRS employee. Enrolled agent
> status is the highest credential the IRS awards."

The "IRS experience" thing has to do with holding a position (like revenue
agent) that implies if you could do that job, you could have easily passed
the Special Enrollment Exam if they bothered to make you take it (and/or
it would embarrass the Service if you failed it after working for them for
20 years).

There might be some substance to that, now that I think about it. I've
seen crap returns prepared by most types of preparers, but the one
prepared by a person who claimed to be a former IRS agent was more likely
to be fraudulent than incompetent. I've met IRS employees who didn't
appear competent, but they probably aren't the same ones who would choose
to maintain EA credentials.

Mitch.