OW.

Only event that replicates that symptom in my case was a leaky primer pump.
Old one bit the dust and I replaced it with a real bosch pump.  The old one had
been sucking air and not letting me get enough fuel through the IP.  When
stopped, the prime would be lost, and I could crank it all day to no effect.

clay