For cookware, I prefer cast iron or enameled cast iron (we have a Dansk pot my mother got for a wedding present in 1951 that's great), followed by quality copper or aluminum core stainless. Copper is probably best, but very expensive, very labor intensive (it has to be re-tinned periodically, for instance, and polished all the time if you want it pretty).

Seasoned cast iron is non-stick enough for me now that I've learned to keep the heat down to the correct temperature for frying, no need for the fancy stuff.

I've not tried the hard anodized (Calphalon, etc) aluminum, no need as I'm quite happy with cast iron.

I would like a better surface unit though -- I hate the current one but cannot find a better one at a reasonable price, so suffer along. Crappy piece of tin-ware from the local hardware stove with cheap burners and nasty non-linear burner controls that creep -- only thing I like about is it that it's gas.

Peter