Back in the '60s there were a number of research studies concerning the
toxicity of aluminum.  Aluminum cookware was eventually shown to be
safe but aluminum containing antacids, when taken in large quantities,
were not:

Snip......aluminum is not as toxic as heavy metals, but there is evidence
of some toxicity if it is consumed in excessive amounts.  Although the use
of aluminium cookware has not been shown to lead to aluminium toxicity in
general, excessive consumption of antacids containing aluminium compounds
and excessive use of aluminium-containing antiperspirants provide more
significant exposure levels.....snip
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium_poisoning#Health_concerns

Gerry