Hi Donald,
I had a Ca. MGB shipped from Ca to Va in Apr 2003. It was a non-running car which adds to the price and it cost $775 for open transport. Closed transport and specific travel dates are more expensive. Brian Buxton's website has several carriers who have excellent references.

I paid on delivery - others may require something different but that's the general rule.

Here's a couple of transport co-op's - tell them what & when you want something and they'll offer bid prices. http://www.calcruisingauctions.com/AutoDispatch/VehicleList.asp - basically transporters will bid on your business. You have the right to reject any or all bidders.

http://www.shipvehicles.com/auto_transport_service/index.php - is another "by bid" company - they have contracts with a lot of companies who will bid on your transport needs as their schedule permits.

Flexibility creates savings. Also, giving the trucker (who is often an independant contractor) control over timing will create a savings.

I realize you may not be interested in the least expensive price and may not be willing to relinquish control but this is an option.

There's lots of companies who transport high-end cars - Brians website will have several. Hemmings Motor News probably has the biggest listing of car haulers in the US. There you will find all the "big-boys" as well as independent contractors).

Either pick up a copy of Hemmings or try a search on their website.

Good luck on your purchase - it sounds like a great car!!    ;-)

Sincerely,
Larry T ('74 911, '67 MGB, 78 240D)
A Blood Test for your oil - www.youroil.net
For Test Results http://members.rennlist.com/oil