Back to to “Tars”.

I finally, this week got the ’68 250S up and running pretty decently a few
weeks ago, and spent the rest of time slowly replacing brake parts.  Now that
she’ll start easily, idle well (mostly), and stop without using the
e-brake….it’s time to think tars.

The original size is 185R14, and Vredestein makes the Sprint Classic which I
have been using on my ’67 Beetle.  Great tire at about $130 each.

Replacement sizes (recommended) are 195/75R14 and 205/70R14 in that order.  The
car currently has the 195/70s from the late 90’s on it.  Amazingly, they hold
air very well, but the tread is checking even though there can’t be many miles
on them.  My parts car has a horrible set of 205/70s on it, and they do not
hold air very well.

Michelin makes a Defender in the 205 size for a little less than the Vreds, and
I might go this way, and the only 195/75s I can find are in the cheap end with
only an S rating.  I’ve read that these W108 cars really need a decent sidewall
to perform well, and I am not sure that the cheaper off brands have decent
sidewalls.

Any thoughts on which direction might be better?

Jon