10 years ago when I started driving a diesel full time (actually it was 10
years ago next month) we had one of the coldest winters ever around these
parts, it hit -20F something like 5 mornings in a row which is unheard of.
After the second morning I had to roust Angie to drive the Dakota to drag the
240D up and down the driveway to get it started I knew I needed a better
system. The car would start fine down to 0F (new battery, M1 0w40 oil, new
starter), at -10F it was iffy, at -20F forget it. It had a block heater but we
lived on the wrong side of the apartment building so I couldn't get a cord to
it.

I went to Autozone by work and picked up a 110ah marine battery and a box to
put it in (which I use as a toolbox now). I'd haul that heavy bastard down to
the car from my third floor walkup, hook up my 400w inverter (some people will
say a 400w inverter won't do this job, they're wrong), plug in the car, go back
inside, shower and have breakfast. Go out and start the car, haul the battery
back inside and put it on the charger (this was a REQUIRED step) and off to
work.

Then one day one of the glowplugs took a dump. Rusty got me a new set next day
and the weather cooperated, it warmed all the way up to 10F when I replaced
them, in the dark...

Marshal used to argue that you only needed to replace the plugs as they failed.
I suspect he either had a heater garage or somebody to do the work for him. Now
at the FIRST SIGN of GP failure I swap 'em all.

-Curt