i used to change glow plugs every two years at the outside.  the idea of
waiting for failure seemed absurd to me

back when i had my VW, i'd changes points and spark plugs every 5k miles
and the rest of the igntion components in short mileage spans as well .
never had the slightest hint of an ignition problem

i want the car to start every time without adventure.  i can't get that by
waiting for parts failure

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM, Curt Raymond <curtlud...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> 10 years ago when I started driving a diesel full time (actually it was 10
> years ago next month) we had one of the coldest winters ever around these
> parts, it hit -20F something like 5 mornings in a row which is unheard of.
> After the second morning I had to roust Angie to drive the Dakota to drag
> the 240D up and down the driveway to get it started I knew I needed a
> better system. The car would start fine down to 0F (new battery, M1 0w40
> oil, new starter), at -10F it was iffy, at -20F forget it. It had a block
> heater but we lived on the wrong side of the apartment building so I
> couldn't get a cord to it.
>
> I went to Autozone by work and picked up a 110ah marine battery and a box
> to put it in (which I use as a toolbox now). I'd haul that heavy bastard
> down to the car from my third floor walkup, hook up my 400w inverter (some
> people will say a 400w inverter won't do this job, they're wrong), plug in
> the car, go back inside, shower and have breakfast. Go out and start the
> car, haul the battery back inside and put it on the charger (this was a
> REQUIRED step) and off to work.
>
> Then one day one of the glowplugs took a dump. Rusty got me a new set next
> day and the weather cooperated, it warmed all the way up to 10F when I
> replaced them, in the dark...
>
> Marshal used to argue that you only needed to replace the plugs as they
> failed. I suspect he either had a heater garage or somebody to do the work
> for him. Now at the FIRST SIGN of GP failure I swap 'em all.
>
> -Curt
>
> Date: Tue, 03 Dec 2013 19:26:45 -0500
> From: Larry T <l02tur...@comcast.net>
> To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
> Subject: Re: [MBZ] '78 240D Block Heater
>
> Hi Gang,
>     I guess I wanted the block heater to help start the car so I could
> avoid a proper fix.  i broke down and replaced all 4 GPs ; (I had a new
> set on the shelf in the garage - duh) Normally the Richmond Va area
> doesn't get so cold to need a pre-heater (teens is about as bad as it
> gets)  but as others mentioned, it's easier on a engine to pre-heat it.
> Unless the cost of electricity get too outrageous, of course.  anyway,
> I replaced the 4 GPs and hit the key (waited about 15 secs.) And it
> started _/instantly/_.    I thought the engine was basically healthy - I
> had rebuilt it about 50K mi ago with new pistons, cylinders, bearings,
> etc - everything needed to make it a new engine except for a new
> crankshaft and was very pleased at how easily it started once I had new
> GPs - i'm glad to have it drivable again....
>
> Thanks for all the suggestions....  now, it's time for a oil change....
>
> Larry
> Please Visit My AMSOIL Online Store:
> http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/default.aspx?zo=5114156
> Oil Analysis Site - www.youroil.net

*reliable vendor of superior parts for mercedes and other european cars*
*www.BuyEUROparts.com <http://www.BuyEUROparts.com>*