Two folks in the home going to work = higher discretionary  income
Higher discretionary income = eventual higher prices ( cars, homes ) as a
function of capitalism
Higher prices = requirement for two incomes
Two income requirement = kids raised in mass storage facilities
Kids raised in mass storage facilities = problem kids....

It's a spiral, and I don't see it ending any time soon.

In my elementary school ( 360 kids or so ) we had one principal, one nurse, one
secretary, one custodian, three cafeteria workers and a teacher for every 20
kids or so.  Kids took turns in the cafeteria picking trash off trays and the
floor, and running stuff thru the dishwasher ( it would have scalded me I'm
sure ) .. There was a superintendent and a secretarial staff downtown.

Those days are gone except in small Asian rim countries....   wait a minute,
who is it that's kicking our ass in education these days...... Us, who were
once at the top are now in the teens.. North Carolina education is the 48th
worst in the country last time I checked.. and we do have tenure here.
Hmmmmmm... all this seems to add up.....

On Monday, December 23, 2013 7:21 PM, Mountain Man <maontin....@gmail.com>
wrote:

Scott wrote:
> I blame it on women's lib.
> ...most mothers then were home makers.  Now, it seems mothers
> need to work but mainly so they can afford to buy crap that isn't really
> needed.  Folks have been brainwashed to believe they and their kids NEED all
> kinds of stuff that didn't even exist 50 years ago.  In effect, they have
> sold themselves to become indentured servants to the economy.

The increase in women in the workforce rather than in the motherhood
force was due to the change 40 years ago of allowing 2 incomes to
qualify for home mortgage.  True?  I don't know, but that is what I
remember learning.
+1 - to all your comments - thanks.

mao