I do agree with some of this, particularly the bit about parents needing to put an effort into educating their kids and not expect the state to do everything and then when things don't work out, blame the system/teachers. It's about people not willing to take responsibility for their offspring and yes this is particularly problematic in poorer sections of the community. A nasty and simplistic way to say it is, 'stupid/lazy breeds stupid/lazy'. I don't agree that women's lib has any major influence on current education issues. It could be argued that the women lost as excellent educators have been replaced by women who previously may have not have chosen to enter higher education and also women pursuing worthwhile careers, inspires girls to do well in school. We choose to send our kids to private school, I try not to think about how much this has and is costing us but we only have one chance of educating our kids and that is not an area to skimp. We could be driving a nicer car than a 20+ year old Benz, we could go on better holidays and have fancier appliances if we sent our kids to the public system but end of the day we have to choose what is important. Actually my daughter has just finished school and scored a 90 out of 100 score, would she have done as well in the public system? I don't know and yes, the quality of the teachers would have been a factor, in the public system you get a mixed bag of talent, from utterly appalling to excellent and it only take one crap teacher to stuff up a childs education. Lastly according to the local stats, more children here are now completing school, than at any time in history, part of this I suppose is that there are not as many low skilled jobs available.

Hendrik
who is a proud daddy