This is the main reason why I have sacrificed better compensation for job
security.  After getting RIF'ed from nice, well-paying jobs where companies
changed their minds about their management structures on a whim, I found myself
in a low paying but very secure position.

Two months ago I had a headhunter call me and wanted to present me for a
position that would have paid me 50% more than I was making at the time, and
with much better benefits.  While there was no guarantee that I would have
gotten the job, it was a no-brainer.  Thanks, but no thanks.

I'll take my lower pay and not worry about being put out on the street.  Being
laid off is the most demeaning, deprecating thing I have ever experienced in my
life.  I never want to experience it again.

Dan